Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Altecs for a cabin in the woods.

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Nipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2009
    Posts
    280
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink Altecs for a cabin in the woods.

    OK guys, lets get creative.

    I have a cabin way out in the woods. NO POWER.
    I want an audio system that sounds great. I only go there on weekends.

    Thinking about getting a golf cart battery and a solar cell. The cell will have all week to charge the battery. I want it to be able to run for 2-3 days. I'm watching EBAY for an old set of Valencias or something super efficient so I dont need a lot of amp to power.

    Do you guys think a car stereo could do this?

    If you have a better idea I'm all ears.

    PS, I do not want a generator. Too noisy and too much maintenance.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altecs for a cabin in the woods.

    Something like a Sonic T-Amp would do the job and is small and light.

    Cheers.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altecs for a cabin in the woods.

    A car stereo would have plenty of power for the Valencias--I have a pair and even when I run them at less than 10 watts per channel they are way too loud! I'd keep an eye on Craigslist as well as watching ebay--I just bought a pair of Heathkit AS-101s (Altec Valencia drivers 806 horn and 416 woofer in a Heathkit Cabinet) from my local Craigslist. I'd been watching Craigslist for Altecs for about 2 months and my heart almost stopped when these popped up one day amidst a ton of ads for Altec computer speakers! See my Heathkit Altecs thread that I started yesterday....

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Nipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2009
    Posts
    280
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altecs for a cabin in the woods.

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    Something like a Sonic T-Amp would do the job and is small and light.

    Cheers.
    Thats pretty slick!!! Never seen one before. THANKS!

    Does anyone know if the temperature would bother the speakers? They will always be dry inside but it will be cold and hot as I heat with a wood stove.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altecs for a cabin in the woods.

    And inexpensive.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2008
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Altecs for a cabin in the woods.

    Car stereos are normally 4 ohms, and the Velencias are 16ohms. Not sure this is a good match.

    David

    The Gortnipper

    (not THE Nipper ;-)

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Nipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2009
    Posts
    280
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altecs for a cabin in the woods.

    Quote Originally Posted by voice of the theater View Post
    A car stereo would have plenty of power for the Valencias--I have a pair and even when I run them at less than 10 watts per channel they are way too loud! I'd keep an eye on Craigslist as well as watching ebay--I just bought a pair of Heathkit AS-101s (Altec Valencia drivers 806 horn and 416 woofer in a Heathkit Cabinet) from my local Craigslist. I'd been watching Craigslist for Altecs for about 2 months and my heart almost stopped when these popped up one day amidst a ton of ads for Altec computer speakers! See my Heathkit Altecs thread that I started yesterday....
    You guys are great...... Glad to see your got such a wonderful deal. Your lucky day!

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Nipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2009
    Posts
    280
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altecs for a cabin in the woods.

    Quote Originally Posted by gortnipper View Post
    Car stereos are normally 4 ohms, and the Velencias are 16ohms. Not sure this is a good match.

    David

    The Gortnipper

    (not THE Nipper ;-)
    Gort dont scare me like that!!! I just checked my Valencias and they say 8 ohm on the back.

  9. #9
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Altecs for a cabin in the woods.

    Get a pair of Altec 1593's or 1594's (B-series or newer), and run them off a 12-volt car battery...
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2008
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Altecs for a cabin in the woods.

    Sweet. Never had a pair, so I thought they were 16.

    After reading about the T-amp - I would get two and run them as monoblocs driving them with an iPod.

    That would leave you enough power in your golf cart for 9 holes I would think!

    David

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28222319 times.